Friday, August 28, 2009

Freshman Year: Smells like hopes, dreams and cheap beer.

Well, I spent yesterday on campus. I was greeted with two of my least favorite types of people: Stupid, self-righteous law students* and pretentious overbearing undergrads.

*Note: I do not hate all law students. I have several friends that are in law school, and I am quite fond of them. Some of the funniest people and best drinking buddies I know are law students. So, when I say stupid, self-righteous law students, I really do mean people who are dumb as posts and probably paid their way into law school and now think they are better than anyone else because of it.

It was orientation week for everybody that was not me on campus, which means I picked The Absolute Worst Day to go because there were a shit ton of orientation guides, holding up their little signs, being followed by freshman. My issue with this is obvious. Orientation groups do not move with precision, or with any implication that there is a goal in mind. In fact, they saunter. It takes them 12 million years to get from point A to point B, because God forbid they lose someone, and some unfortunate 18 year old has to find his/her way around because they were lost from a group they probably didn't want to be a part of anyway. My main problem is that, unlike LSU, BU is located on one single street, so instead of being a sprawling campus, it's organized length wise, leaving few safe ways to get around a group of freshman who are taking up the side walk. Also: Their parents were there. Kill me now.

Anyhoo, I had several clear missions yesterday: Get my TerrierCard, drop of my medical forms and get textbooks. That is all. These three things, collectively, should have taken me an hour, tops. It ended up taking me three, almost four hours. Here is a rundown of my day.

10:30 a.m. Arrive on campus, momentary mental hissy fit over shear amount of people on campus.
10:40 a.m. Fight throngs of freshman in front of the George Sherman Union.
10:45 a.m. Ask Law School welcomer how to get to the TerrierCard office. This was my first mistake. Here is our conversation:
Me: Hi, you look like you know what you're doing.
Welcomer: Yep.
Me: Can you tel me how to get to the TerrierCard office?
Welcomer: It's downstairs. You were heading in the right direction, but I'm lazy and the elevator is here. I'll show you.
Me: Thank you.
Welcomer: What program are you in?
Me: Grad student, College of Communication.
Welcomer: Oh. (this was a very loaded oh, like the oh someone says when they are unimpressed with something and therefore think they are better than you) How long is that program?
Me: Year and a half.
Welcomer D-Bag: Oh. (see above.)
10:48 a.m. Find TerrierCard office. There is a line. I have arrived right after and before many first year law students. All of whom are too busy flirting with the original Welcomer D-Bag and his tool friends to listen to the lady at the front of the line, who was instructing everyone to have a form of picture ID out, as well as to know their BU ID number. None of them did, and they acted like this was someone else's fault. Also, everyone ignored me because I did not have a law student name tag on, and it was obvious that I was not part of their clique. It was ridiculous. Hence: Stupid and self-righteous.
10:55 a.m. Leave Union with an awful ID picture. Probably because I was so disgusted by my company.
11:05 a.m. Arrive at Student Health services, only to be informed that they are closed on Thursdays from 11-1 for staff meetings.FML.
11:15 a.m. Buy text books. Spend $377.
11:25 a.m. Eat lunch by myself.
11:30 a.m. Wander around campus bookstore.
11:40 a.m. Take a nap in comfy armchairs on sixth floor of campus bookstore.
12:15 p.m. Walk around outside.
12:30 p.m. Sit on a bench. Outside.
1:00 p.m. FINALLY drop off medical forms.

Obviously, it was a long day. It made me re-evaluate this decision, but in the end, I am still looking forward to classes beginning, because I desperately need some friends my own age up here. MY orientation is Tuesday, probably planned that way so there won't be as many people in the way. At least I hope so.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, that's just bad luck all the way around especially the health center being closed.

    ReplyDelete