Thursday, June 11, 2009

My first impression of BU

So, I finally have a little more Boston action to report:

I spent the past week in Boston/Plymouth. On both Saturday and Monday my parents and I took the "T" (for those of you not accustomed to MA mass transit, the "T" is the subway, but also encompasses the commuter rail) into Boston.

On Saturday, our day mostly consisted of getting a little of the lay of the land. I accepted BU's admission offer sight unseen, so I was pretty keen to see the campus I will be calling home for the next year and a half. I have to say, it was pretty damn impressive. It's a totally different type of campus than LSU is. Obviously, it is located in a real city (let's face it, Baton Rouge was built around LSU; BU was built within Boston), and it looks like it. Boston is a really old city, so naturally, BU has acquired some really old buildings. Lots of elegant brownstones that they have converted into offices and classrooms; in fact, I have been told that Alden Hall, one of those brownstones, houses many PR classes. The only downside? No AC! In fact, I found that many buildings on campus do not have AC. I guess that's part of what they call culture shock.

On Monday, we actually met with a couple professors. When I say that they are as different as day and night, I mean it. However, both were really helpful, and I really look forward to working with them. After my visit, I actually feel smart enough to go to BU. For a while, I was under the impression that I didn't really deserve my acceptance, and that I was not quite up to par. I don't have that feeling anymore. And let me tell you, it is a nice feeling! In fact, all of my worries about school, internships and jobs have evaporated. I feel really good about my future. I know that I made the right decision and the best decision. I can't wait to start!

In the meantime, though, I have a lot of packing to do...

2 comments:

  1. Well, technically Baton Rouge was built around its waterways for industry but I take your point.

    I'm glad that you feel smart enough now (of course you were always smart enough). Did you take some pics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup. I'm about to put them on the computer, then FB, then I might twitpic some, and then I may even put one or two on here.

    Regardless, they will be somewhere.

    ReplyDelete