Monday, June 22, 2009

The Macintosh Experience

Anyone who knows me knows how badly I've wanted a Mac. Ever since I got to LSU and saw all the shiny apple computers scattered across campus, I've desired one over my silly Dell laptop. I felt inferior. I felt less tech savvy. I felt nerdy. I know this is ridiculous, but again, anyone who knows me knows my desire to have what everyone else has. It may be one of my greatest personality flaws, but I don't really care.

I knew I was going to make bank in graduation money. I also had a good excuse as my inferior Dell has been slowly and surely dying since last year. I decided that now was the time to leap onto the Mac bandwagon. I wrestled with the pros and cons of the varied Macs available, and eventually decided (after the new line with the price cuts was released; I am also cheap) that the 13 inch MacBook Pro was the right Mac for me.

I ordered it on June 11 along with an iPod touch (I took advantage of the student discount which not only knocked off $100 from the Mac price, but also offered a free iPod touch* *restrictions applied). I also paid $15 for two day shipping, because I knew that I would be going out of town, and I wanted to make sure I would be around when it arrived.

On June 13th, I recieved an email from Apple saying that my Mac had been shipped. "Oh joyous day!" I exclaimed. Apple ships through FedEx, so I was provided with a tracking number. My Mac's estimated delivery was June 18, 2009. "OK, that's fine. A little longer than two days, but whatever, it will be here before I leave." I thought. Oh, little did I know that God had different ideas.

For ease of reading, I have provided a timeline:

Jun 13, 2009 12:09 PM: Picked up in Shanghai, China. It was picked up after FedEx cut off, which apparently means it has to sit around while FedEx employees are unproductive.
Jun 13, 2009 12:21 PM: Left FedEx origin facility. Allegedly.
Jun 16, 2009 9:51 PM: In transit. Three days AFTER FedEx reported it as hightailing it out of China, it was moving. Somewhere. Now, granted, one of the days was Sunday, but I digress.
Jun 16, 2009 2:34 PM: Arrived in Anchorage, AK. Where it proceeded to sit around while FedEx employees twiddled their thumbs or watched sindicated tv sitcom re-runs, I'm sure.
Jun 16, 2009 2:51 PM: In transit. At this point I thought it had left Alaska. I was wrong.
Jun 17, 2009 8:12 PM: Int'l shipping release. IT WAS IN CUSTOMS FOR 5 HOURS. OH MY GOD.
Jun 17, 2009 4:00 PM: In effing transit. Probably being used as a soccer ball, or something.
Jun 17, 2009 5:01 PM: Departed Anchorage. Well, it's about time.
Jun 18, 2009 2:09 AM: Arrived in Indianapolis, one of my least favorite cities, even though I've never been there.
Jun 18, 2009 4:53 AM: In transit. At this point, we (and by we I mean my dad) called the FedEx customer support people, who basically gave us the finger and said it wouldn't arrive until tomorrow even though I PAID EXTRA for two day shipping because, get this, a volcanic eruption in China had caused their freight to be delayed. A volcanic eruption. Seriously? SERIOUSLY? God, why do you hate me? We end up moving it's delivery date to Monday, when we will be home. Screw them, too.
Jun 18, 2009 4:53 AM: Leaves Indianapolis.
Jun 18, 2009 11:10 PM: Arrives in Memphis. Good for it.
Jun 19, 2009 3:18 AM: Leaves Memphis.
Jun 19, 2009 4:08 AM: The Mac is officially instate.
Jun 19, 2009 7:35 AM: In Covington.
Jun 22, 2009 8:45 AM: DELIVERED. Victory is mine!

Granted, they probably would have had it to me on Friday, which only put it about a day behind schedule (their schedule, not mine; it was never on time according to my schedule). But it's the principle of the matter. Oh well. At least I have it now. It arrived well traveled, at least.

And in case you care, it is everything I ever imagined it would be and more.

1 comment:

  1. Love the tag "Unreasonable reaction to reasonable problems" I might need one of those too.
    Glad you got your shiny shiny mac.

    ReplyDelete